Cancun, a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful beaches and vibrant nightlife, is located in the southeastern region of Mexico.
Visitors traveling to Cancun often wonder about the local time zone and how it relates to Eastern Standard Time (EST).
In this article, we will discuss the time zone in Cancun and its relationship with EST.
- Cancun is located in the Eastern Standard Time (EST) zone.
- However, during Daylight Saving Time (DST), Cancun follows Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).
- The time difference between Cancun and other major cities depends on the time of year.
Cancun: Time Zone and Eastern Standard Time
Cancun is situated in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico, which falls within the Eastern Standard Time (EST) zone.
This means that, during standard time, Cancun shares the same time as cities located on the east coast of the United States and Canada, such as New York City, Washington D.C., and Toronto.
Daylight Saving Time in Cancun
It is essential to consider Daylight Saving Time (DST) when discussing the time zone in Cancun.
Unlike other regions in Mexico, the state of Quintana Roo, including Cancun, does observe DST. When DST is in effect, Cancun follows Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), which is one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time.
DST typically begins on the second Sunday of March and ends on the first Sunday of November in Cancun.
During this period, it is crucial for travelers to be aware of the time difference between their home location and Cancun to ensure accurate scheduling of flights and other activities.
Time Difference Between Cancun and Other Major Cities
The time difference between Cancun and other major cities around the world depends on the time of year, due to the observance of Daylight Saving Time.
Here are a few examples of time differences between Cancun and other cities during standard and daylight saving time periods:
- New York City (USA): No time difference during standard time; one hour behind during DST.
- Los Angeles (USA): Cancun is two hours ahead during standard time; three hours ahead during DST.
- London (UK): Cancun is five hours behind during standard time; six hours behind during DST.
- Sydney (Australia): Cancun is 16 hours behind during standard time; 15 hours behind during DST.
Cancun is located in the Eastern Standard Time (EST) zone, which means it shares the same time as cities on the east coast of the United States and Canada during standard time.
However, Cancun observes Daylight Saving Time and follows Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) during that period, resulting in a time difference with other cities depending on the time of year. It is essential for travelers to be aware of these time differences when planning their trips to Cancun.
- Time and Date. (n.d.). Time Zone in Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico. Citations from https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/mexico/cancun